The Federation of European National Statistical Societies
The Federation promotes mutual communication, co-operation and interchange of views among all those interested in statistical sciences, in their scientific principles, in a broad sense and in as wide a range of applications as possible. The Federation serves as an agency for the dissemination of technical and scientific information among the National Statistical Societies forming the federation, promoting their mutual collaboration and those activities that can augment the research scientific impact of the members, including international conferences, journals, books and other publications.
- COVID-19: Crises, politics and statistics24. 04. 2020Discussions are ongoing worldwide and a number of statistical reviews of the course of COVID-19 disease are published. Here are some interesting links that might interest a wide range of statistics.
- What is the role of statisticians in the context of the COVID-19 crises?20. 04. 2020The FENStatS initiates a wide discussion about what form we, the European statistical community, can and should get involved to overcome the current crisis. It is important that we statisticians do quickly and make our contribution to overcoming the current crisis. We are therefore counting on your interest and initiative in all possible directions in terms of research, data, models and much more.
- United Nations World Data Forum 202020. 03. 2020event date: 18. - 21. 10. 2020The first United Nations World Data Forum was hosted from 15 to 18 January 2017 by Statistics South Africa in Cape Town, South Africa. The second UN World Data Forum was hosted by the Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority of the United Arab Emirates from 22 to 24 October 2018 in Dubai. The third UN World Data Forum will be hosted by the Swiss Confederation, with substantive support from the Federal Statistical Office of Switzerland from 18 to 21 October 2020 in Bern.
- The Joint Statistical Meetings 202016. 03. 2020event date: 1. - 6. 8. 2020The Joint Statistical Meetings (JSM) is the largest annual gathering of statisticians and data scientists held in North America. In 2020 it will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, August 1-6, 2020. JSM offers a unique opportunity for statisticians in academia, industry, and government to exchange ideas and explore opportunities for collaboration. Beginning statisticians (including students) can learn from and interact with senior members of the profession.
- The European Population Conference 202014. 03. 2020event date: 24. - 27. 6. 2020EAPS (the European Association for Population Studies) organizes the European Population Conference (EPS), which takes place every two years, as well as many other activities. EPC is the largest European conference for population research. Is a unique, international and interdisciplinary forum for population studies with a special focus on Europe. EPC 2020 will be held in Padova, Italy from 24-27 June 2020.
- Abdel El-Shaarawi Early Investigator Award - 202012. 12. 2019The Abdel El-Shaarawi Early Investigator (AEEI) Award 2020 was established by the TIES Board in order to recognize and honor early investigators who have made outstanding contributions to the development of statistical and/or quantitative approaches for research in the environmental sciences. The prestigious AEEI award 2020 is granted to a researcher, who is a TIES member for years 2019 and 2020, and has received their PhD within 12 years of the submission deadline (31st of January 2020) for nomination...
Objectives and activities
- The Federation promotes mutual communication, co-operation and interchange of views among all those interested in statistical sciences, in their scientific principles, in a broad sense and in as wide a range of applications as possible.
- The Federation serves as an agency for the dissemination of technical and scientific information among the National Statistical Societies forming the federation, promoting their mutual collaboration and those activities that can augment the research scientific impact of the Members, including international conferences, journals, books and other publications.
- The Federation supports the immersion of doctorate and post-doctorate students in statistics in international research networks, and actively cooperates with ECAS (European Courses in Advanced Statistics).
- The Federation of European Statistical National Societies is web-based, with interactions and management mainly via the Internet; services, news and newsletters are made available on the Internet.
- The Federation proposes actions to the European Commission, other European institutions and supplementary donors to secure funds for projects in research and education in statistics. Furthermore, FENStatS prepares and presents projects that cater to research and education needs in statistics and requires its delegates to serve in panels and committee where funding is decided.
- The Federation collaborates with international statistical associations and in particular with the ISI (International Statistical Institute) and European Societies with statistical interests such as ENBIS (European Network for Business and Industrial Statistics).
- The Federation encourages crossed participations in national events to increase international exchanges of experiences and research and to organise joint meetings on specific topics of interest for at least two European Member Societies.